Friday, September 21, 2012

Paulette Mahurin, Historical Fiction Author of The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap

Hello my wonderful blog followers...I would like to introduce you to the wonderful Paulette Mahurin, Historical Fiction author of the book- The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap. Paulette kindly answered a few interview questions for me and I must say, I really enjoyed reading her answers and getting to know this lovely lady more. I hope you enjoy getting to know her as well and do take a peek inside her book and add her to your to-read list on Goodreads! 
The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap
Click book to read the first few chapters and purchase your copy! Available in both Kindle & Paperback!

 
Image of Paulette Mahurin
Paulette is the one on the Left

 Book blurb:
A women's Brokeback Mountain. The year 1895 was filled with memorable historical events: the Dreyfus Affair divided France; Booker T. Washington gave his Atlanta address; the United States expanded the effects of the Monroe Doctrine to cover South America; and Oscar Wilde was tried and convicted for gross indecency under Britain's recently passed law that made sex between males a criminal offense. When news of Wilde's conviction went out over telegraphs worldwide, it threw a small Nevada town into chaos. This is the story of what happened when the lives of its citizens were impacted by the news of Oscar Wilde's imprisonment. It is a chronicle of hatred and prejudice with all its unintended and devastating consequences, and how love and friendship bring strength and healing.


1. Where do you call home?
Ojai, California

2. What is the title of your most recent book?

3. What's your Genre?
Historical Fiction

4. Plans for a next book? Is this part of a Series?
 I am working on a love story, based on real events of a couple who met in an oncologists office,
both having cancer, and developed a magical-poignant-beautiful relationship.

5. Are you a self published author (Indie) ?
Yes

6. Who's your favorite author?
Too many to pick, but love Steinbeck.

7. Your favorite book?
Again too many to pick but love The Grapes of Wrath. I love a book that I don’t want to put down and am sorry when it’s over, there are so many of those, thankfully!

8. What book are you currently reading?
The Afflicted Girls by Suzy Witten

9. A book you would recommend?
The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz because it’s the most helpful beautifully written relationship book, that I read over and over and over and grow from.

10. How do you pick your books?
Interest, if the synopsis grabs me.

11. Advice for other authors?
An author writes. Just sit down and do it and don’t let the critic in your head get in your way. Doesn’t matter the time put in or judgments involved by self or others, a writer writes. Leave the editing and critiquing up to others when the writing is ready for that but pay attention to seeking out supportive positive friends for feedback in the early stages so you don’t get your creative light turned off. -I love that!12. Do you write under a pen name?
Paulette Mahurin
13. Where do you write?
I have a den that looks out over trees running down to a creek, I write there.

14. What do you wear when you write?
Jeans and a t-shirt.

15. Do you have a pet (s)?
Max and Bella, rescued from a kill shelter, puppies. He’s a purebred rottie born with a missingpaw and thrown away cause the breeder couldn’t sell him. She’s a rottie-sharpei mix found homesless and thrown in a kill shelter to be disposed of. They are the two sweetest dogs we’ve ever adopted. My hubby and I are into animal rescue, been rescuing rotties for 28 years. The profits from my book are going to the first and only no-kill animal shelter, Santa Paula Animal Rescue Center, in Ventura County, CA where I live.- That is so wonderful Paulette, your an inspiration!

16. Favorite food?
A good salad.

17. If you were deserted on an island, who are 3 famous people you would want with you?
Vicktor Frankl: he wrote the most powerful book I ever read, Mans Search for Meaning, where he tells of his concentration camp experience—lost all his family, and came out with an enlightened attitude about life. He’d be my inspiration and teacher. Then I’d bring someone I was attracted to, eternally, lol! And, lastly, a doctor.- Smart!
18. Of your characters, which one would you say is most like you and why?
Charley because he grows the most and reflects back the power of the heart.

19. What made you want to be a writer?
It’s just something that’s been with me all my life, natural for me, like breathing. I just love to write and started at the age of ten, in college I wrote a couple of award winning short stories, and in the last six years penned my first novel. I was able to write because I got a tick bite, contracted Lyme Disease, and was down for the count with lots of time on my hands, where I was incapable of much else. I think I can honestly say, writing and my dog Tazzie probably saved my life, along with my wonderful husband Terry.- We are so glad you are better! Youch!
20. Any weird talent?
I love improvement classes and spontaneity with people which sometimes gets me in trouble when I’m being silly and inappropriate but it bodes well on an improve stage, lol.

21. A favorite quote?
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.- Oscar Wilde. My book’s really an homage to him, each chapter. Starts with a quote from hm and the story revolves around his imprisonment. An amazingly brilliant man who really was born too early for his fate, but never let it stop him.
22. What is the one thing you never go without?Dogs in my life.

23. Your biggest influence?
Kindness. The simplest thing reaches me and fills me with gratitude that kindness shines through and does so much good, in the worst of situations, and it’s always available. A smile, a hand touch a hand, a simple action one person at a time changes the world. It moves, motivates and inspires me. Thanks for asking!

24. Favorite TV show?
Right at this moment, The X Factor. The ramped up the game and talent and I’m really enjoying it.

25. A great blog you would like to recommend for others to discover?
Right now, yours! There are so many wonderful giving bloggers out there, who do reviews, who feature authors, who help with giveaways, to strangers. It’s a wonderfully supportive community. -Aww... thank you Paulette, I couldn't agree more, I myself have recieved that same warm welcome and help from many wonderful fellow authors.

 Paulette's book is also available in the Amazon UK Store
 Fan or add Paulette's book to your to-read list on Goodreads

Like The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap on FACEBOOK
Follow Paulette's BOOK'S BLOG
Follow Paulette on TWITTER
Her WEBSITE
PRESS ARTICLE:
VC STAR Sept. 9, 2012 Sunday Life Section:
http://www.vcstar.com/news/2012/sep/08/ojai-authors-historical-novel-teaches-tolerance/
 
Visit Paulette's Amazon Central Author Page and read her wonderful Bio!
 
Thanks again Paulette and thanks to all my wonderful followers for the drop by,
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi A.D.
    I wanted to stop by and tell your how great your site is and thank you again for the invite to come and chat with you. Really enjoyed it and love your feedback on the answers here.

    Paulette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paulette,

      It was a pleasure to have you here and loved getting to know you:0) You're so wonderful! Thanks again!

      All the best,
      Alishia

      Delete